Saturday, August 11, 2012

Buzz!

I looked back over my last few entries before starting this post... It would appear that my entire summer consisted of eating cupcakes.  I will try to post some other adventures soon, because there have been a good number of them this summer that do not involve cupcakes.  Cupcakes are just easier entries, so I can dash them off in just a few minutes.

The adventure to Buzz Bakery in Ballston involved my mother and Wendy along with Larry's mom and myself.  It started out with a gift of Muppet cupcakes decorated by Wendy's fiance.  I felt awkward walking into a bakery already holding cupcakes, but since we bought deliciousness and coffee, I got over the awkward.

Unfortunately, I do have to distinguish between the deliciousness and the coffee here.  I ate a "Buzz" cupcake, a sweet mocha-flavored concoction.  It is one of the more sugary cupcakes I have eaten, so Buzz lived up to its name here. The coffee was mediocre at best, to my vast disappointment, because a great cup of coffee could have cut through the sweetness.

The bakery had a variety of pastries along with the cupcakes, from personal sized carrot cakes to unbelievable-looking pies.  They also offered a tea and alcohol in addition to the coffee.  To my surprise, the ambiance of the shop fit this unusual combination of menu selections.  The whole place was sleek, smooth, and upscale, yet remarkably comfortable.  It was filled with young professionals, many of whom were plugged into their laptops.  When I made it back a week or so later for coffee (poor choice, but it offers coffee and alcohol, so was a good compromise), they had a bubble machine going to entertain small children playing in a fountain outside.

I give it 4.5 of 5 stars for a great shop and good cupcakes, but sad coffee.

Larry's mom was indecisive and gave it a 3.5-4 out of 5.

I had the PB cupcake.
Cake part not too dry.
Frosting about right not overly sweet or greasy.
I liked having a little bit of a filling, that could be what kept it from being dry.
Shop - welcoming, customers & staff friendly. It was busy with people reading & doing school work which made it feel like you could stay for a while. Nice variety of teas.
I wouldn't go out of my way to go here, but if I was in the neighborhood & wanted a cupcake I would.
Good company always makes a difference :)

1 comment:

  1. Had to laugh when I read this because, well, your blog has been very cupcake-centric this summer ;)

    ReplyDelete