Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A History of Chocolate Chip Pancake Day

The time of year has come when Facebook, Pintrest, Walmart, and the Dollar Tree explode with red and pink vomit in honor of Valentine's Day, while single women everywhere express their bitterness about said vomit or said singlehood.  In honor of the occasion, I would like to offer an alternate route with this brief history of Chocolate Chip Pancakes for the Romantically Disadvantaged.

In 2006, the women of Nicholson 2nd Upper decided to honor Valentine's Day in all-girls-dorm style.  Chocolate chip pancakes seemed like a perfect way to go, and I led the way to the birth of Pancake Day.  The next year, 2007, a year dedicated to the Rusty Spoon of Vengeance, saw it christened "Chocolate Chip Pancakes for the Romantically Disadvantaged," a bitter, celebratory dig at my hard-won singlehood.  The next two years at the College solidified both my lone wolf status and the tradition, to the consolation of my single friends, both male and female.

When I left the College, I carried the tradition with me to St. Louis and I discovered that my friends carried the fond memories, as I received emails, Facebook posts, and G-chats wishing me, "Happy Pancake Day!"  So of course I continued to celebrate when I moved back to the 'burg, this time making the important discovery that having long-distance girlfriend* counts as a "romantic disadvantage," so that Asher could come to Pancake Day.

This February 14th will mark the 7th Annual Chocolate Chip Pancake Day and the second that Ohio has seen.  I am already getting excited for the occasion.  To those friends who have participated and find themselves far away: you are dearly missed.  To anyone sans Valentine this February 14th: consider Pancake Day as a DIY project to enjoy the best the holiday has to offer (i.e. chocolate and red wine.)



[*Full disclosure: I had to put in the bit about Asher to explain that I am not creating an exemption for myself this year, since I have a beau whose presence in my life does not count as a "romantic disadvantage."  Added advantage: he also does not like Valentine's Day.]

No comments:

Post a Comment