Saturday, February 20, 2010

How to Use a College Degree, Part II

II watched Notting Hill last night. After a stressful day, a break from the intense competition of the Olympics was much needed, and a chick flick much in order.

My favorite scene occurred on the rooftop of William's (er, Hugh Grant) apartment : the two lovers were going over lines together and William points out that her play is neither Jane Austen nor Henry James. My heart skipped two beats (one for each author) and I fell madly in love. Any girl can know Jane Austen, but how many people could catch Henry James -- and the subsequent Wings of the Dove reference?

My current sorrow? Anna Scott (Julia Roberts) acts in a Henry James filmic adaptation at the end of the movie. William (Grant) is supposed to listen to lines, but cuts out early, so we as viewers never hear the lines. I picked up that the movie was James from the earlier reference and the period costumes, and I wanted to see if I knew which one. Alas, if we got any hints (I don't think we did) I did not piece them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment