Monday, September 6, 2010

The Peacemaker

I believe I promised a post about the Peacemaker. This was the ship that Ariella found at the beach a weekend or so ago. Because I found a sign explaining that their shop was closed for "Shabbot" and another sign that mentioned the "Twelve Tribes," I assumed that they were some sort of Jewish group or offshoot of Judaism. However, Marianne found more information about both the Twelve Tribes and the Peacemaker.

The Twelve Tribes also call themselves "The Commonwealth of Israel," but they are not Israeli. As far as I can tell, they are a network of commune-esque societies spread in twelve locations (4 regions of the US and 8 other countries). I don't classify them as Christian because, from what I have read of theirs, they do not consider themselves Christian. However, they do have a spirituality that appears to center around the Messiah (Jesus), whose name they translate Yahshua. They express belief in the Christian Bible.

Yet they claim their life is "not 'religious' ... but it is deeply spiritual — that is, we strive to maintain a heart-to-heart fellowship with one another, and with our Creator, at all times." Which says some fascinating things about Western notions of religion. (Does one have to go to church to be religious? Does going to church make one religious? What is this assumed distinction between the religious and the spiritual?)

Knowing all this information, one well might inquire : What do the Twelve Tribes have to do with a ship?

A ship provides a mobile witness up and down the coasts. By setting sail, the Twelve Tribes hope to show the world a "microcosm" of their community and give example of what life can be. I'm curious to know how effective their mission is. On one hand, I am not about to join up. I have some hippie-ish tendencies and often consider seeking a Catholic commune. And I did want to stow away on the ship and spend a few weeks sailing. And besides being too Catholic to quit, I didn't really see their life, so much as read about it in a pamphlet.

On the other hand, I learned about them, and was so interested that now you have too.

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting - fringe "Christian" sects like these always fascinate me. Did they say if they have a community in Plymouth, MA? When I was there a week ago visiting the Pilgrims I learned that there was a "Lost Tribe of Israel" group that ran a natural foods store and coffee shop in town.

    ReplyDelete