Monday, November 1, 2010

Part I

I have a lot of catching up to do on here, and we'll see how it goes. I like to do things in chronological order, so that means it'll take a few posts before I catch up to the present for occasions such as the Colbert/Stewart rally and Halloween. However, the things on my mind that will come out are not exactly cheery topics.

A couple weeks ago, a student at the College took her own life. It is a tragedy that shook the College. As John Donne wrote,
No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main....
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
It is even more true that we are a part of each other, when, as I recently wrote, the College has such a strong community. We are united as more than humanity; we are united as the College.

I want to go two places with this, so please indulge me in two less-than-happy posts.

I first found out about the tragedy from a friends G-Chat status, reading, "Take care of one another, Tribe," followed by a link to the article in the local newspaper. In subsequent discussions, the idea came up that we as a society have forgotten how to take care of each other.

I run some mornings, and a few days ago as I was running I saw a plastic bag blowing across a yard. I thought about picking it up, decided that I didn't want to run across a neighbor's (wet) grass, and went on. For a few more steps. Then I changed my mind. I decided that I wanted to be That Girl, and I often am not. I wanted to be That Girl who picks up plastic bags blowing across yards. Who smiles at strangers. Who makes overworked cashiers laugh, or at least breath a little more easily. Who sees the beauty in others and speaks it to their faces. And thinking about being That Girl does not make me her. It makes me someone who thinks about being her.

How many people go through life considering being That Girl or That Guy? Seeing people who maybe could use one extra smile, one extra hug, one extra kind word... and don't want to step on a neighbor's lawn. And yet, the prospect of making the world a better place should motivate us to take that extra step. After all, we all do have a responsibility for each other. This idea is obscured by our society's views of independence and, I think, promoted by our over-commitment to tolerance, which too often translates into "leave other people alone."

When we "leave other people alone," however, we... well, we do just that. When we remove ourselves from other people's lives and problems, we step back from where they need us most. Of course, not everyone needs every other person poking his or her nose everywhere. However, we all need shoulders on which to lean, ears which will listen, hearts onto which we can unburden ourselves. After all, who wants to be left alone to face the world? I, for one, could not take it on alone.

In the wake of the recent suicide, I have heard a lot of talk about how we need to take care of each other. The first step is to realize that we can't just "leave other people alone." We need others. Life without people who care, both best friends and random strangers, is empty.


Final note: I want to echo the words of Monsignor, who said Mass the Sunday after. He emphasized that if you are feeling trapped, lost, backed into a corner, do not give up. Do not despair. There is always, always someone there for you. If that means calling me at any moment, do not hesitate. If that means being in touch with someone better able to help you than I, do not hesitate. Here is a place to start: http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ (1-800-273-TALK (8255)).

No comments:

Post a Comment