Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Let's Project the Hymn's Words on the Wall!

Protestant congregations do it. Not all of them, not all the time, but it certainly isn't unheard of to find a screen or blank wall and projector in some church. When we want to suggest something ludicrous, I joke with Catholic friends or coworkers that we should place screens and projectors on either side of the altar. So I had a momentary laugh to myself on Christmas Sunday, when I sat down in my grandmother's parish and saw a projector on the ceiling. However, I assured myself that it was not used during Mass and probably just cast that lovely spotlight on the crucifix.

After a nice Christmas homily, the priest told us that he was going to show us "a little video." The projector came on, and the "video" began. Within the first few words, I knew I recognized it : a commercial from Catholics Come Home. If you haven't seen the commercials, check them out here. I mostly watched in shock, thinking, Are they really projecting something above the crucifix? Really?

My mother processed more (maybe because she's better at being up at 7:30 without caffeine, food, or exercise, at least one of which needs to be in my system for me to wake up) and pointed out the rationale behind showing that particular video on that particular day. Besides being Jesus' birthday, what is Christmas? The day when everyone comes to church (though Easter has its fair share of the crowds). The priest meant the video to call out to those Catholics who came only once or twice a year... a different approach to the "We do this every Sunday!"

1 comment:

  1. If, per BXVI, clapping in mass (for any purpose) indicates that the solemnity due the occasion has been lost*, I believe the same is to be said for the use of a video projector. Show the video before mass. Or after. But NOT during.

    *Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, The Spirit of the Liturgy - sorry I don't have a page number

    ReplyDelete