Sunday, May 8, 2011

Krispy Kreme Angels

The College council of the Knights of Columbus and the parish one teamed up last Sunday to sell Krispy Kreme doughnuts in the classic fundraiser. However, one of the Knights from the parish had a brilliant and creative idea. [Note on pronunciation: when "Knight" is followed by "of Columbus," I say it "nite" in my head. When it is not, please read "kah-NIG-it." This will enhance your reading experience.] The brilliant and creative idea? As the pulpit announcement said, "You have two options for buying. Option one: Buy a box for yourself... Option two: Buy a box to donate to students studying for exams."

I laughed to myself when I read that announcement, thinking it was funny and maybe we'd end up with a handful of boxes for the "Krispy Kreme for Crammers." On Monday, I discovered the generosity of the parishioners. The Knights had 110 dozen doughnuts to give away. That is 1320 doughnuts.

I joined three of the College Knights to pass out doughnuts that night. We started outside the library, where we made two people's night by handing them entire boxes of doughnuts. Then we spread out in teams to two and covered the first floor of the library. I followed Asher around with paper towels. "Excuse me? Would you like a free doughnut? A local church donated them for studying students. God bless!" "Hi! We're giving away doughnuts. The old people at the Catholic church wanted to give them to students. Jesus loves you!" And so on.

Something as simple as a free doughnut can bring such a smile to someone's face. And there is no better way to end your day than by watching a hundred or two faces light up with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment