Thursday, August 29, 2013

We Need Feminism Because....

Lately, I've been antsy to start running again -- I stopped in June due to health issues and now that they are resolved, I am preparing to get back to it.  So it's not surprising that as I wander through the neighborhood that will be mine in November, I sometimes think about where I will run.

I haven't just been thinking about it -- I've also talked to my fiance, who lives there now, about running routes in his neighborhood.  The conversation went something like this:

"The running path down by the river -- is it safe?"
"I think your greatest danger is being hit by a bike." [Brief excursus about runners being hit by cyclists.] "I like running towards town better."
"Yeah, but I don't like running along main roads."
"There's a bridge over the highway so you won't get hit.  There are some roads back here too that might be good.  There's a big hill and lots of stairs that lead you to a park."
"That doesn't look like it'd be long enough.  I'll probably go by the path."
"I don't like it in the winter.  It's not very well lit."
[Moment of revelation for both of us: we are talking about different dangers.]
"Of course, I don't have the same concerns as a lady runner..."

I need feminism because my concerns when choosing a running path should not be dictated by my gender.  That conversation brought to mind this collection of students explaining why they need feminism.

2 comments:

  1. FEMINISM. (You know I'm on board.)
    The sign about female economists really hit home. A related piece I saw recently, about female journalists' brands (or lack thereof):
    Warning: it's a good piece, but there's a bit of language from the reliably-funny, inevitably-salty Ann Friedman: http://bit.ly/177mmS8

    (And here's a related piece featuring some lady journos, which blessed us all with the amazing phrase "low-maintenance lady swagger"): http://bit.ly/1a1w4Ih

    ReplyDelete