Monday, July 27, 2009

I Feel Like I Just Did This All...

We educated our club. We mobilized to educate campus, raise awareness, and gather signatures to send to Congress so that our voice WOULD be heard. I spurred the quest of post-cards at church and empowered a stunning speaker at the pulpit. I personally fed every one of the hundreds of postcards through the stamping machine. And FOCA was not introduced.

The offending parts of this act?
*Abortion would become a fundamental right.
*Doctors/medical students would lose conscience protections.
*All restrictions on abortions would be removed.

Now, I am discovering: no rest for the weary. The health care reform bill before Congress could lead to:
*Abortion defined as "minimum care."
*Health care providers lose conscience protections.
*Tax money going towards abortions.

And although the papers which call the movement "anti-abortion" miss this, pro-life people also fear:
*Rationing of care.
*Utilitarian health care decisions.
These measures worry us on the end-of-life part of things.

Up and to arms again! Once again, the life community is mobilizing, but this time I sit in the middle of a hive of activity, with nothing I can do to see immediate results, such as a signature on a petition or thank-you's after Mass. My efforts still count, I know, but I am looking at a longer range. I have to admit, as I read emails calling this "FOCA by Stealth," and the "Worst Since Roe," there is a certain thrill to being pro-life in DC right now. And also a great deal of fear, because as much as we oppose this, it still could pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment