Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Re-Start

After weeks of craziness and learning what does not work, we at the middle school have come up with a new schedule and a new way of doing things. In other words, we have invited chaos upon ourselves for a few weeks in hopes that it will solve greater chaos. So, I have become the 8th grade religion teacher, but stepped back from the language arts and reading classes. Instead, I get to hang out in the library all day! I am pseudo-librarian, plus I get small groups from the classes all day to help. In the afternoons, I go back to the reading classes, which are supposed to be small groups, but we need to hire more teaching assistants before that can happen. I miss the reading group I had in the old schedule though. They were a bright group of kids and we were just getting to the point where I understood them and they understood me. Plus, I liked having a part of the day where I worked specifically with the smart kids.

Today I started my time in the library. I cleared off the desk and set it up as mine own, commandeered a milk crate for filing, and began a check-out system. I spent time working through social studies questions with sixth graders. Have I written about poverty of education? If not, I will soon, because that is what I saw here.

I think my calling this year consists of slowly taking on the jobs to which my roommates aspire. First, I become an English teacher. Next, I take on the role of religion teacher. Not quite the same as campus minister, but it'll do in a pinch. Lastly, I have suddenly transformed into a librarian. I can't become them completely, though, because they all want to have babies (last I checked) and that one is not about to happen this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment