Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Step in the Right Direction?

In my futile attempt to keep up with current events, I stumbled across this article in the Washington Post. It discusses the idea of allowing Navy women onto submarines. The first time I discovered that women could not go to the vast depths of the seas on Naval submarines, it just didn't make sense. In subsequent thoughts and conversations, I have become less shocked, but it still didn't make sense. I know that I go on about how sexism still lingers in our society, but the more blatant bits still surprise me.

In discussing this story with a friend, we had two different takes. On one hand, I found the comment that women represent a huge resources being neglected a step in the right direction. On the other hand, my friend pointed out that no one recognized the discrimination for what it is, so we've still got some ways to go.

1 comment:

  1. HOLLYWOOD AND THE LIBERAL MEDIA IS TRYING TO SHOVE WOMEN ON SUBMARINES DOWN OUR THROATS. I FOR ONE WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS AS SEEN IN THE DOCUMENTARY MEGA SHARK VS GIANT OCTOPUS CLEARLY SHOWS THAT THE SUBMARINE WITH WOMEN GETS EATEN.

    DO YOU WANT THE TROOPS TO GET EATEN???? DO YOU SUPPORT THE TROOPS? YOU DAMN LIBERAL HIPPIES.

    ReplyDelete