Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Seasons Are Changing

I never realized until this year how much the cycles of the Church have gotten into my blood and become the cycles of my life.

When at college, especially during the past two years, I immersed myself in CCM. As Liturgy coordinator and then as Spiritual Life coordinator, I followed the liturgical seasons closely. Feast days were exciting; Holy Days of Obligation a big deal. The changing of liturgical seasons had more significance on my life than the changing of spring to summer, fall to winter. But only this year, taken away from that world, am I far enough away to remember that this is not how the world works.

We are entering the shortest season of the Church year, the three day Triduum. Not only the shortest, but the highest, most holy time of the year. And I am used to the world standing still -- or being able to make my world stand still, creating my own retreat from the world into sacred time.

Instead, school lets out for three days. The atmosphere, rather than contemplative and anticipatory, penitent and prayerful, is celebratory -- we have freedom! Go on vacation! I understand it. We are out of school for only 3 extra days; there is no time to relax after Easter, and we are in need of a break. Still, I don't feel right unless I follow the cycles that are now a part of my blood -- which means the next three days are sacred time.

No comments:

Post a Comment