Friday, March 5, 2010

Special Blessings

Last Friday, I was having a specially difficult time with 7th grade. Most of the time, when people don't like me, I find it easy enough to deal with : they are not worth my time or emotional energy. About ready to write seventh grade off, I asked myself, "Can I do that? Can I give on twelve and thirteen year olds?" I answered the question several ways at several points in time throughout the day in an inner dialogue that went on all day.

That afternoon, the older grades (4-8) gathered in the church for the Stations of the Cross. As the principal followed the Stations for the kids, I began to think on them myself. The Stations focus on the Lenten theme of penitence, so the meditations center around where we are going wrong, so that we can work on going right. I considered what the Passion and death mean in my life -- that as many times as I mess up, God doesn't give up on me. I put him through a lot, and he already gave everything. Still, he keeps taking me back, when I'm dumb, frustrating, failing, falling, insufferable, disappointing... He doesn't give up.

Well. How do I give up on 7th grade (or any kid) after that?

No comments:

Post a Comment