Sunday, March 28, 2010

Simple Living

We don't make much money here. So we have simple fun. Take for example to entertainment of this evening.

After prayer this evening (we eat and pray together 3 times a week), the six of us were sitting out on the porch when someone asked, "How adventurous are you feeling tonight?" I hedged until I figured out why I was being asked this question. Apparently, I appear a convenient size to try an experiment : "Will you climb down the laundry chute?"

I stumbled out a few questions before we trooped inside to examine the chute. It goes from the second floor down to the basement, but Mee-Maw and Triss had already determined that I should drop from the first floor down. Which was a good idea; I have the feeling the second floor would have been dangerous.

I stuck my head into the metal passage and peered up and down at roommates at the top and bottom of the chute. The bottom seemed far away until Em opened up the bottom door. Then it appeared about a 7 or 8 foot drop. I determined that the distance was reasonable. Mee-Maw and Triss offered a bean-bag to cushion my fall, but it looked like it would block me in, so we used just a sheet.

Getting in was the hardest part. I (obviously) wanted to go in feet first. I wanted to be facing outside, but my knees had to bend for the angles to work to get my legs in -- the laundry chute is large enough for me to manipulate in a bit, but I don't have a whole lot of wiggle room. Eventually, I stuck my legs and hips in, then wiggled my way, leaning heavily on Triss and Ana, so that I had completely flipped upside down. At this point, I was half in the laundry chute with my torso sticking out, facing down. I scooted backwards in all the way -- I was in the laundry chute!

I braced myself against the four walls and shimmied down. Having worked out the angles of knees, hips, and laundry chutes up top, the getting out was a cinch!

Of course, that could not be the end of our adventures. Mee-Maw proceeded to climb up the chute, with the help of a sheet being dangled by Ana from the first floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment