Saturday, July 10, 2010

Office Space

Here's another poem that I've finally edited enough to be shareable. It's about the three rooms at school that were most "mine."

I am a spare office at the end of the hall
A shared space, scattered with the chaos
Of other people’s forgotten paperwork:
File-folders stacked in star patterns
Textbooks – catalogs – cabinets with drawers that stick –
A light switch behind a cupboard
That can only be reached by stepping through
The wire frames of disassembled shelves.

I am the unsorted books of the new library
With Dewey Decimal spines and no place on the shelf
Scattered with frustration when someone wants a specific book,
Never given a second glance afterwards,
As I sit, collecting dust and pollen.

I am the “science room,” fluid space
Ordered and reordered by someone else’s whim –
A convenient empty dumping ground –
Used often enough to collect distended experiments
But not enough to make upkeep worthwhile.
The flotsam and jetsam of a busy school –
Broken tables, desks, and Petri dishes
Line the walls to wait for
Dental exams, flu shots, and reading services.

I am the scientific method, almost followed.
I am the alpha-numeric code, striving to be understood.
I am the .pdf on the computer, that explains the world
Unopened because no one here has Acrobat.

1 comment: