Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Summer Job

Summer school started up on Monday, so I have been remiss in updates on my summer job. Ana and I went into work Monday afternoon, excited about a program from the Butterfly House : "A-MAZE-ing Cockroaches." Excited, but a little nervous. After all, it was the first day of school all over again; plus, what if the students really didn't like cockroaches?

We got to the school early than necessary, so had time to set up and calm our nerves. The number of students was lower than expected, but the fourth and fifth graders were excited and eager, something I didn't see often as a middle school teacher. The cockroaches went over well, with the girls conquering their fear of the Madagascar hissing cockroaches more easily than the boys and a friendly maze competition ending the day with high spirits.

Tuesday and Thursday the Shakespeare Festival sent us two dynamic teachers who taught our children about Shakespeare and did drama-type games with them. To my surprise, they knew more about Shakespeare than they had known about insects. Or at least, they could answer more questions for the Shakespeare team than the Butterfly house lady. Theories of explanation : 1) They may have learned about Shakespeare earlier that day in preparation; 2) the instructors know how to phrase questions for their age range.

Wednesday our planned activity fell through so we did crafts. I was amazed at the amount of enjoyment the children got from making God's Eyes and beaded bracelets. Friday ditto as to planned activity; we made ice cream. Or attempted to. I don't know why, but the ice cream refused to freeze. Luckily, the children didn't care -- it was hot out and they got to play with ice. Eventually, they gave up and drank the sweet cold milk. A few kids did get upset, but Ana managed to put a positive spin on it and encouraged them to try it again at home.

The best part about summer school is seeing kids again. I've missed them. At school, I get outside of myself. I have a hard time focusing anywhere other than the students. Plus, little children give so much love when you give them positive attention. It's good for me.

3 comments: