Monday, October 25, 2010

Alma Mater Hail

When Julia, Wendy, and I were freshmen, we took the bus to Target on homecoming weekend. As we came back, we saw the crowds of alumni of various ages spreading from the Alumni House and stadium into the wider world of campus. Ever since that day, I have looked forward to the day when Wendy and Julia and I would reunite at Homecoming.

I never expected that, for my first Homecoming, both Julia and I would be living here. Unfortunately, Wendy could not make it down, so I have to wait at least another year for visions to come true.

Homecoming #1 went down with no Wendy, but I did manage to have an amazing time. I had Benjamin and Annie (no, loyal readers, you have not met her yet; but she will reappear) under my roof, so I had no lack of good friends... not even counting the people, such as one of my favorite apartmentmates, with whom I spent several wonderful hours on Saturday.

Friday night I devoted to friends from freshmen year; Saturday I spent more with CCM alumni. I think that since I live here, I had a different experience of Homecoming. Lots of awesome people were coming home to me, but I wasn't going anywhere. My normal social lines were suddenly redrawn and my spheres redivided.

And then Sunday, the people whom I knew and loved and wanted more time with started to trickle out, until dark and early Monday morning, I drove Benjamin to the airport and my normal life began again.

No comments:

Post a Comment