Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Latin!

Last night, in his weekly Catholicism seminars, Father Dude spoke about the new translation of the Roman Missal. For all questions you have now or after reading this post, I refer you to USCCB's page on the new translation. I have found it very user-friendly.

Being a classics nerd, I find the new translation very exciting, and of course it will change the way the Mass sounds. Still, technically, the Mass is the same. In a nutshell: when Vatican II happened the Missal was re-written, i.e. we had a "new Mass." This new Mass was written in -- guess what? -- Latin! Different bodies of Church officials then translated this Latin Mass into their respective vernaculars. These translations received Vatican approval and became the commonly celebrated Mass.

Recently, however, English-speaking bishops have gone back to the original Latin that came out of Vatican II and re-translated it into English. They ended up with a translation that resembles the Latin more closely than what we use now.

After explaining to us about Missals and translations and the history of our current translation, Father Dude handed out excerpts from the new translation, including a few prayers with the original Latin, the current translation, and the new translation side-by-side.

I'm 93% certain the people sitting near me thought something was seriously wrong with me when I started reading the three-part handout. Seeing the Latin next to the English made me realize just how much of the beauty of the language of the Mass we are missing right now. We lost so much in translation and I am so excited to get it back.

Here, for example, are a few lines:

Latin: Populo tuo, quaesumus, Domine,
adesto propitius,
et,quem mysteriis caelestibus imbuisti,
fac ad novitatem vitae
de vetustate transire.
Per Christum.

Current: Merciful Father, may these mysteries give us new purpose
and bring us to a new life in you.
Grant this through Christ our Lord.

New text: Graciously be present to your people,
we pray, O Lord,
and lead those you have nourished
with heavenly mysteries
to pass to a new way of life from the old.
Through Christ our Lord.

Can you see and hear and feel the difference? I am very much a language-oriented person, and, seeing the Latin and the new translation, I have to admit that I feel rather cheated by having the current translation. I realize that the Mass is holy and valid as it is right now, and that the Eucharist is the Eucharist and all the prayers, no matter the language or translation, are the unworthy expression of the great Mystery that makes up our faith. But I process and filter most of my existence through language and words mean a lot to me. And to me, the difference in translation is the difference between a cheap reproduction and the real work of art. I see the same image in both, but one is so much more clear and beautiful.

Apparently there is much outcry about this new translation, because it changes a lot of the people's responses during Mass. Which affects not only what we say, but also what we sing, giving musicians a special task and challenge starting very soon. I sympathize with musicians, but I don't have the gut reaction against change that many others exhibit. Instead, I find myself eagerly awaiting November 27, 2011.

1 comment: