Wednesday, April 27, 2011

In Which I Am (and am not) a Scatterbrain

After the three Easter Masses, I did something I had not done in years : I went home for Easter! In exchange for a three hour road trip, I received an awkward sunburn on one arm and a strange portion of one leg which sleeveless shirts and time in the sun have not been able to help. I also received some lovely family time along with delicious food.

This morning I tried to return to work. The operative word being "try." I was feeling quite on top of life as I hopped into the car and turned the key. My engine responded with a flutter that sounded like a sick butterfly. Consider the energy a butterfly with mono might use in flapping its wings. That was my car.

I tried again and tried not to panic. Last year, I learned what a dead battery sounds like, and I figured that's what it was. I went through the people I knew in the 'burg who might have jumper cables in the .3 seconds before I remembered my AAA card. Then I could breath easy and know what I needed to do. After a couple deep breaths and prayers and one more attempt to start the car, I called my dad to steel myself for the call to AAA.

I also checked to see which lights I had left on. Much to my surprise (and relief) I had not left any lights on! I suppose it should not have been a relief -- if I had left lights on, I would need a jump; if not, it was likely a dead battery. However, sometimes it is good to know that I am not a complete scatterbrain. (Just most of one. Example: 30 minutes down I-95 yesterday, I realized I had left all my toiletries at home. They are now in transit via USPS, thanks to my loving father.)

AAA sent me a battery truck. I enjoyed my phone conversations with them from an analytical point of view. The people on the other end said things like, "I'm sorry to hear about your car trouble," and "Are you in a safe place?" Solicitous, practical, and used to dealing with people in panics. The battery man and I had a wonderful chat as well, during which I discovered that he used to be a Marine at the base not far from my home and he grew up in Ana's town in Kentucky. It's a small world!

All things considered, it should have been a pretty rough start to the morning. My car wouldn't start. I'm down the cost of a battery. I got into work 2.5 hours late and had to reschedule parts of life. But everyone was so helpful and cheerful and I discovered (later) that I paid a fair price for the battery. Mostly, I enjoyed the time to sit outside in the sun in a sun dress and read, which makes for a very relaxing morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment