Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The World Will Come to Walshingham

Friday and Saturday, my world became... GALA. My readers who know CCM recognize the occasion; for others, it is the annual event when people pay CCM money to come to an event and spend money. Which is to say, it is a black-tie affair with a catered dinner and a live and silent auction, as well as a raffle and some fun entertainment. Students put on the Gala, with the help of an adult committee, and serve at the occasion, but, like a true fundraiser, it targets outside of our community. At least, outside of our community in the normal sense. In a way, it expands our community and shows both students and supporters just how large our ministry is.

This particular year marks our 5th Annual Gala. That means that I remember our first Gala; I was one of the bright-eyed and confused student volunteers who smiled at the rich people who came to support us. By now, we have many more guests, including a solid group of alumni. So I still spent a good bit of the evening smiling confusedly at people as I tried to make small talk. I found I am much better at making sure people and things are where and when they need to be than I am at making small talk. Just in case I didn't already know that.

Miriam and Brigit have been working literally since September (and really before that) to prepare for this. All week they had been champs, working crazy hours to put the final touches on so many parts and pieces. Friday, Brigit was running all over town doing final pick-up and arrangements, and Miriam had charge of an army of students, transforming a gymnasium/auditorium into a classy setting for our guests. I love seeing the room transform from a basketball court into a fancy dining room lined by tables of pretty things. It felt so magical by the end. Best of all, we finished considerably earlier that evening than we'd done in past years!

Saturday morning, Miriam and I picked up a few odds and ends and hung out with an alumnus working the light and sound for us. Saturday evening was showtime!

It's just amazing to walk into a room and see thirty people whom you normally see in jeans and sweats, now dressed to the nines. CCMers clean up nicely indeed. And then Wendy was there, along with the two girls we roomed with senior year, Connor, and a few other wonderful alumni. I alternated between official duties and hanging out with dearly beloved and much missed friends. Marie (yes, the same one who was in Hurley with me) was acting field-marshal of student volunteers, so I knew they were in good hands.

One of my favorite moments of the night came at the very end. Brigit and I had worked hard at creating table placements to keep all our guests happy. I saw one women leaving with her table's placard -- and each guest had signed by his or her name! It was a beautiful, tangible result of our efforts.

And now, I am left with the residue of the evening. We packed up and moved out that evening, but my office is still littered with the odds and ends of the evening, including left over red velvet cake. (Yes, that is a hint to come visit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment