Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"And Others"

Two or three days ago, we celebrated the feast of St. Charles Lwanga. He was martyred in Uganda during the early days of Christianity there. I found out during the homily that Charles Lwanga was one of 20-odd martyrs in Uganda. For a while now, I have been contemplating the beauty of martyrdom. We all have to die some day. Out of love for my Savior doesn't seem a bad way to go. In fact, it sanctifies death. (Of course, we are called to live sanctified lives as well, and that is a good and holy thing.)

Hearing the story of St. Charles Lwanga gave me a new perspective. Twenty-odd people died for their faith, were canonized, and have a feast day -- but they are 20-odd nameless people. How awesome is that? It fits right in with my desire to have an unnamed bench or icon or stained glass window. I don't like the "Donated by..." signs on religious items. Nameless saints have kind of the same feel as anonymous donations. Here is an example for others to live by -- no need for credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment