Tuesday, July 5, 2011

More Fun and Games

Over the past month or so, I have been out on the boat with Percy and his family quite often. Monday morning, Papa Percy, Percy, and I went out for an early morning jaunt before the river got crowded for the 4th of July.

The morning stillness reminded me of setting off across the Occoquan, heading for Sandy Run on race days. We would paddle through the mist, waking up our bodies for race day. I half-dozed as Percy took a crack at the slalom ski.

Then I took my turn playing behind the boat. First, I remembered how to get up on two skis. I had done so on Saturday and had been pleasantly surprised that I could still ski behind a boat. Then Percy suggested that I learn to surf. Although his father thought one needed to know how to wake board first, Percy kept talking and so I agreed to try. It felt odd to balance against a light board in the water, but in only a few tries, I got up behind the boat!

The surf board is designed to ride the wake just behind the boat, letting the water pull you so that eventually you can toss the tow rope back into the boat. Your feet aren't attached to the board, which seems strange, but feels better to me. I immediately recognized the balance as the same feeling as standing up on the Metro, which I highly enjoyed. I didn't get to the point of floating behind the boat, but I'm looking forward to trying again!

No comments:

Post a Comment