Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Reading Days

My term as YACM officially ended on Friday. So I have mostly had school work to do -- pre-recorded lectures which I can enjoy on my own time schedule. Which, for me, is extremely compressed. My goal is four lectures a day, which means 3 hours of listening to my computer talk at me. I listen quite easily from the comfort of my own bedroom, but if I stay in my house all day, I feel dull and uninspired. Nevernomind that listening to my computer talk at me for three hours a day is not necessarily the most exciting and inspiring activity; I want to make it as lively as possible.

In attempt to liven up lecture-listening, I have been seeking exotic places for the listening. Outside is simply too hot right now, so I have been wandering from building to building, with two necessary conditions: WiFi and comfortable chairs. In my wanderings, I have discovered a favorite spot that shocks me: Swem Library.

All through undergrad, I avoided Swem whenever possible. During the semester, it is chock-full of stressed students and exudes stress, which threatens all who enter its doors and, when exams come around, overflows into the rest of campus. However, I have discovered that in the summer months, it is simply a quiet and peaceful place, with enough people that I don't feel alone, but few enough people that I don't feel crowded. A couch overlooks the sundial, and I can charge my lappy while listening to theology and enjoying the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment