Thursday, January 12, 2012

Trading Couches

Last year, Julia spent copious amounts of time on my couch.  This week, I returned the favor.  I headed down to the 'burg Sunday, figuring I'd stay two nights, but hedging and saying I'd spend two or three.  Four nights later, I tore myself away.  I can't believe how easy it was to slip in again.  In so many ways, that place is still home.   Here are some Cliff's Notes from the expedition:

1) First thing, I met up with a friend from undergrad who teaches about an hour away.  We only started to get to know each other at the end of our college career and have since become better friends.  She credited this blog.

2) I discovered that Percy likes the office supply section of Target.  Things I never predicted we had in common.

3) Julia and I made spiced wine from a French recipe.  In order to do this, we scoured the 'burg for star anise.  After our two normal grocery stores and trying places in Ye Olde Towne, we ended up at the new schmancy grocery store, where we found an impressive selection of spices, along with French water and cheese.  The wine was delicious -- you should try.  Also, you should click the link to see Julia's tumblr and a picture of the wine!

4) I had lunch with Marianne, Brigit, and Ariel (who has my job now).  Other than that Marianne can walk now (no more knee troubles!) it was as if nothing had changed.

5) A friend who transferred into the College's Law School owns a Vespa.  I rode around the 'burg on the back of the Vespa, which was surprisingly similar to riding the tandem bike.  (In terms of the free-air freedom and lack of control.  Also that we broke 35mph on each, which may not have been the best idea.)

6)  I tried to go to Mass five times and succeeded twice. Still, I managed to attend services at three different churches.

7) Ariel and LB have a cute apartment which I finally got to see.  My extra night also meant I got to help celebrate Ariel's birthday.

8)  My morning coffee came from Starbucks, thanks to a gift card.  One morning, I sat next to a Free Mason interviewing a potential Mason.  I wanted to interrupt for most of the conversation, but especially when the older man started talking about Stonewall Jackson's destructive march, burning the South during the Civil War.

9)  The 'burg is an excellent place for bumming, especially on sunny days.  Leaving the 'burg was, like my move out, like at homecoming, hard to do.  I love visiting, but I'm tired of good-byes.

2 comments:

  1. We should chat more about the mason sometime. Sounds like a good story :) It was wonderful visiting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should! It was wonderful visiting! Thanks for the hospitality :-)

    ReplyDelete