Monday, April 16, 2012

Hitched to Everything Else

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe.
~John Muir
As I conduct my research for Theological Foundations, I am discovering how much I don't know.  Every question I ask is connected to twenty other questions that may or may not be answered.  I spent forty minutes talking things out with Dr. Sirilla today and, while I feel better about my assessments of certain ideas, I have very few questions answered.  And a pervading sense of my own ignorance alongside a long reading and learning list.

The most interesting document by far that I have read is this notification.  I read some of Jacques Dupuis, who is under investigation for some possibly misleading/unorthodox views.  So I looked up the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith's notification regarding his book.  Not only did it help clarify some questions and raise new ones, but it provides some insights as to the disposition of Dupuis and the CDF -- mostly that he too is wrestling with tough questions, but trying hard to remain within the bounds of orthodoxy.  We've talked rather extensively about questioning and dissent in this class, and now I am witnessing it in action.


No comments:

Post a Comment