Sunday, April 29, 2012

Some Thoughts for Exam Time

1) Technically "exam time" hasn't started: I still have 3 more days of classes.  But since I have done nothing for the past four weeks other than paper research/writing, praying, and running, and now I have started turning things in, it feels like the end.  Really it is, since everything comes due in a week from Monday.

2) I swallowed my academic pride and asked for an extension due to being overwhelmed for the first time.  I asked for one other extension in my life and that was due to the death of my lappy and consequent loss of my paper.

3) I made a commitment at the beginning of my academic career to keeping a Sabbath from school work on Sundays.  It's an exercise in trust, obedience, and balance.  It is extremely frightening at this point in time and I have had to hide some of my books and close tabs that perennially open to databases/card catalogs.

4) One week until the half-marathon!  We've had a fun dance of people dropping in and out of the race, but as of now there are four of us: Brother Bear, Tommy More, JP (yes, someone new on the blog!), and myself.  All systems are go for 13.1 in 7 days!

5) We had a juggling priest come visit my New Evangelization class.  I was thrown back to the days when I was in elementary school.  One weekend, after I had sprained my elbow and got to have all sorts of fun x-rays, my parents went to "Deanery Five Enrichment Day."  (The things that stick in my head...) There, a priest entertained the children by juggle knives while their parents did grown up things.  Turns out, it was the same priest!

6) As a consequence, I am considering trying again to learn to juggle.  By which I mean, practicing till I can do it, since I've already "learned."  The problem is the associated emotional baggage.  But it might be worth it so that I can juggle.

7) I feel self-conscious wearing my South Butt hoodie around campus, for fear I might scandalize some poor little freshman or small child who is visiting campus with his or her alumni parents.  See number 1 on this list as to why I was wandering campus in said hoodie and jeans and sneakers.  I felt infinitely better about it when one of my favorite priests complemented it.

2 comments:

  1. One of the things I keep thinking about integrating is #3. I am also working on getting back into #4. ... In the past three weeks, I have had one full week of schedule = executed running. Ah, to be a first year teacher at a boarding school.

    Anyway, I like the enumeration of goals. And, GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3 is definitely more difficult... but it made #4 possible, because I had time for long runs! It also changes the entire rhythm of your life. Your whole week is ordered to Sunday, which is something new.

    ReplyDelete