Sunday, September 23, 2012

Let Love Grow

I know I have not been keeping this blog up well this semester -- I should be posting at least twice a week.  Oops.  So now I am going to backtrack and cover the wedding in Houston!

Meemaw got married a mere two weeks ago.  Ana, Em, Triss, and I all made it out to her wedding -- only Byrd couldn't make it.  I hadn't seen Meemaw or Triss since they left St. Louis over two years ago.  I was surprised, though maybe I should not have been, at how easily we picked back up, as if we had parted only weeks ago.  As the four of us drove around and about Houston, we fell into community again.  So of course I remembered the beautiful thing about our VSC covenant: we never put a time limit or an end date.  We are bound by sacred kinship bonds forever.

The four of us stayed with Em's aunt and cousins and her parents and sister came into town. Which means that for the weekend we were adopted into a beautiful Mexican family.  At the wedding, we were surrounded by Meemaw's Vietnamese family and her Filipino in-laws.  The Mass was tri-lingual, featuring English, Latin, and Vietnamese and included Filipino wedding traditions.  I have never felt so white or so blessed to be in a place where so much beauty can come together.  The reception made it even better: ten courses of Vietnamese food that three white girls and a Mexican tackled with chopsticks!

The only bad part was, of course, the parting.  It's easy to forget how much you miss people when missing them becomes a part of your everyday life.  When that hole is filled for a few days, suddenly, it's even worse to be apart at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment