Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Return (Cliff's Notes)

As I mentioned almost a week ago, I am back in Ohio.  The new semester has started and I have found myself... without time to blog.  And short two cupcake reviews.  The cupcakes will come; this promise is more to myself than to any readers still following my ramblings.  For now, here are some Cliff's Notes on my return to Franciscan:

1) The reason I am so busy: I saved one paper from my summer courses for the very end, once again show casing the marvels of procrastination.  The first week of classes, I enjoyed my light reading load by writing desperately.  I did finish and turn in the paper on time, by the grace of God, through the intercession of His mother.

2) I am so excited for my classes.  To the point where, when people ask me what I'm taking, I get a ridiculous grin on my face and end by saying, "I'm super-exited!"  On the plate: Bioethics, Natural Theology, and Gregory of Nyssa.  All small classes with classmates who know how to have real discussions and professors who encourage it.  And the papers look like so much fun.  Yes. I'm a nerd.

3) I have forgotten what it means to cook only for yourself.  I played the 1950s housewife for the first bit of the summer, having dinner on the table when my parents got home from work.  Even when they both were home, I cooked a good deal for the four of us at home and baked a good deal for social gatherings.  Now I have one me and a tiny, counterless kitchen.  I have to remind myself to cook real food.

4) My poor car survived the trip!  I got a new muffler as a part of a new exhaust system because apparently I had 80* exhaust leaks and such things can kill you.  Now my car sounds different when I accelerate.

5) I finally saw the Hunger Games movie.  I give it my stamp of approval.  It disturbed me more than the books, however, and I spent at least one night dreaming about Katniss.  I think this is because in the movie, the games and the political themes drive the plot more than the characters do.  So much happens inside of Katniss's head that she is hard to translate to film.

6) More to come as the semester progresses!


*Rule of thumb: If a number I give has an 8 and seems unreasonable, assume it is an exaggeration.  For some reason, 8 says to me, "I am unreasonably large."

No comments:

Post a Comment