Friday, October 9, 2009

Crosses

Yesterday I subbed for the 7th grade and history teacher. It was a challenging day, to say the least. The 6th and 8th grade history classes went well, but the 7th grade had more than a little trouble. The constant rain that kept us inside all day made it worse, and I suppose they were about due for an explosion.

When I got home, I had trouble shaking the day. I was so tired of being responsible for other human beings. That is a lot of pressure! Finally, a late night chat with Em put things into perspective.

She talked about the film, Freedom Riders, which I haven't seen. She made her point however : a lot happens in these children's lives bigger than school. I can forget it easily, because they minimize the harder parts in life. None of them (or few) have any conception even of their socio-economic stati, which is beautiful and frustrating at the same time.

Em also mentioned the importance of our community, in supporting each other and carrying each others' crosses. The image came to my mind of Simon of Cyrene. And instead of my community helping me bear my cross, I realized that these students have crosses that I can't imagine, and I am here to help bear them. No wonder I feel so much pressure. There are 64 middle school crosses and 3 teacher crosses coming at me from that school, for all of whom I am called to be some sort of Simon.

Rather than overwhelm me, however, the idea comforted me and put bits of life into their proper places. I can't deal with all the attitude from the school; I can't solve all these kids' problems; I can't even meet their educational needs. But I can extend a hand, or at least a finger, and help with their crosses. It will take patience and counsel to understand how, but it makes sense, and, with the grace of God, I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment