Monday, August 2, 2010

*Insert Smiley and Terrified Face*

I am writing from a brand-new desk having woken up on my very first morning in my new home. The windows let in sunshine, even with the blinds closed and it makes the place cheery and peaceful. My desk (well, technically, it's not brand-new; I found it on Craigslist) holds my VSC covenant, an over-stuffed basket of pens and pencils, a Bible-verse-a-Day calendar (Psalm 50:1), my Bible, an empty frame waiting for a 5x7 photograph, and a shopping list (dish soap, chair). Behind me and to my side are the bits and pieces that I left last night when unpacking got the best of me emotionally and I gave up in favor of making phone calls.

A few half-packed boxes aside, I am officially moved into the 'burg! I have a beautiful home in a townhouse, which means I have my own room, a beautiful kitchen, some hard-to-arrange common space, and a tiny yard with a uniform pattern of bushes and flowers. I have yet to meet my roommate, but she left me a couch and armchair and some dishes. My parents and I packed the minivan full of furniture, and they helped me move in and set up my desk, dresser, bed, and kitchen table.

After we grabbed dinner, they headed out and I discovered that everything you do at a time of transition acquires meaning. After taking an emotionally-laden trip to the grocery store (to purchase necessities such as milk, oatmeal, and tea), I opened up boxes and began to organize. Of course, I grew too unstable for this task and made a couple phone calls. When people failed to pick up, my emotions, of course, became even more charged and I set up my computer, and emotionally charged event. After making contact some with the outside world (and receiving a return phone call) I took an emotionally-laden shower. I think you get the picture.

I woke up only once or twice in the night and morning came bright and sunny. I start work in one hour. Between a job, a place of my own, and the bills that will come all too soon, I suppose I really am a big girl now.

2 comments:

  1. congratulations, beth! can't wait to read about all those adventures to come! say hi to the 'burg for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you mean about transitions. I've had so many of them over the past couple years that I've lost count. I believe Paul has come up with an emotional formula of what happens to me. Oh life.

    ReplyDelete