Monday, February 14, 2011

Alewerks

On Saturday, Percy, Julia, her boyfriend, and I hunted down a local microbrewery, Alwerks. Having enjoyed Schlafly's immensely, I was looking forward to this tour. We got a late start to our adventure : we left at 2:59 for a 3:00 tour. I thought we were going to miss the tour and was planning when to reschedule it.

We got to Alewerks at 10 after, and an employee ushered us across the sidewalk to a sketchy-looking warehouse that housed the brewery. I had expected something larger -- the entire brewery fit into a room maybe 50'x50'. Alewerks is to Schlafly's as Schlafly's is to Anheuser-Busch. Our guide was an older man with a thick accent who knew a lot about the making of beer and not a lot about entertaining a tour group, or ending his sentences audibly. If I hadn't heard so much about making beer last year, I doubt I would have made sense of most of what he said. I did learn that Alewerks makes ales rather than lagers, which boded well for me -- I prefer ales.

Eventually, we headed back over to their little shop, where we had the beer tasting. They called ladies up first, a chivalrous act that amused me, but which I appreciated. In general and overall, I found that I like Alewerks's ale. We had six samples, and, although we had a new man talking at us, I found it hard to keep straight which sample I had when, because of the confusion in the small room. That being said, I learned interesting details about all the beers -- including one that is made by brewing coffee like tea and adding it to ale. It was coffee flavored and delicious.

Afterward, we were hungry, so we found pancakes at a new restaurant in town. Or rather, Julia and I found pancakes. Percy and Julia's boy got real food. The diner was quiet and we are not quiet people most days of the week. Plus, Julia's boy and I both laugh really loudly. So we got lots of looks, which made the boys louder. We were "that table." I think our waitress was probably glad when we left... and we may have scared one couple into a quick meal. Oops. There are a few problems with living in a town of retirees.

No comments:

Post a Comment