Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Franciscan University of Steubenville

As I hopped in my car on Saturday to head off to Steubenville, my gratitude to Percy's GPS began. I am used to directions that take me places rather directly, staying on one or two main roads. My trip took a good deal more turns. Plus, it gave me a projected time, so that I could let my tour guide know that I was running 15 minutes late. Other than the lateness and the drizzle, the trip was uneventful. I kept trying to visualize myself driving these roads with a car full of stuff, heading off to a new home at the end. I could see it.

Almost immediately off the highway, I found a steep road that took me to the Franciscan University of Steubenville. I found visitor parking almost immediately, which was due to the grace of God and some excellent signage. I had studies a map before coming, so that I could dart to the Rosary Circle, where I was meeting my guide.

He was the only person waiting in the Rosary Circle; I was the only person rushing in. We introduced ourselves, and my tour began.

We started in the Chapel of Christ the King. Apparently, it was built as a performing arts building, but because of funding problems, they couldn't build a chapel. So they prioritized. The inside of the Chapel looked more like it had been designed for performing arts, but it contained a Eucharistic Chapel where we stopped and said hi to Jesus.

Next we wandered through the library. Most of the buildings were named after saints, but not the library. It is named after John Paul II. I quickly learned that I have been spoiled by Swem; the library was small! We went from there to the science building, and then to the all-purpose academic building. Between the two, I saw where most (if not all?) of classes are held. Chairs, couches, and tables lined the hallways. Flyers for a variety of events plastered bulletin boards, including a graduate theology symposium. I wanted to go. I had, overall, a strong feeling of a campus community.

We walked through offices as well, so I got to see the names on the doors. I had a momentary celebrity freak-out (just on the inside; I did not embarrass myself) as I stood in front of Scott Hahn's door. Fact : If I go to Franciscan and take a class with him, I am going to have to get over that. But even as I write this, I am dancing on the inside and singing, "I could take a class with SCOTT HAHN!" (Which is funnier because I am sitting with two quiet and studious math kids, who have no idea of the party going on inside my head.)

After the academic buildings, we did a blitzkrieg of the rest of campus : the rec center, the student center, and the dorms. We ended on the third floor of one of the dorm buildings. I could hear the sounds of praise and worship music, coming from down the hallway, celebrating the fact that tomorrow was Sunday. We stood by a window, looking out over the campus, and could see almost all of it. My guide and I chatted for a few minutes about the culture of Franciscan and how people get outside of "the bubble" on campus. I had avoided thinking too much about making a decision during the tour, but now all my doubts came rushing at me. It was just so small!

I decided to stop agonizing right then and stop into the chapel during the 45 minutes I would have between the tour and dinner. My guide pointed to a few more sights that I should see (the Grotto, the Tomb of the Unborn Child, and the chapel of St. Francis of Assisi). And we parted ways.

I took care of the outdoor wandering to see my last few sights, and then slipped into the Eucharistic Chapel. I pulled out my veil and the packet of information admissions had left me and settled in. The tabernacle and the crucifix -- which I love! (I was still thinking of the pastor of the Orchard) -- filled my vision and my mind. And almost before I realized it, I had stopped reading and tears were running down my cheeks. I didn't understand why, but I knew that I could see myself here, in this chapel, as I worked and studied and lived here. I didn't understand why, but I knew this could work.

I ended up on my knees before the crucified Christ, considering the meaning of next year. God is calling me to new adventures and an unknown life. I think He is going to challenge me in one way, and He chooses another. I want trials of one sort, and He gives me another. But, as I prayed before Him, I knew that I wanted to follow, even when I didn't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment