Friday, August 26, 2011

New Adventures

Dear my loyal readers : I have safely arrived in Ohio! After an earthquake (okay, so it didn't really delay me, but it sounds epic) and brake repairs, I finally packed everything up into my car, 44 hours later than originally intended, running full speed ahead of a hurricane (again, not really pertinent, other than for dramatic effect).

By the grace of God, everything fit in my car, rush hour was apparently over by 8:30am, and I encountered no "runaway trucks," in spite of the escape routes that popped up for them. I also did not need fuel when I passed the "Last Food and Fuel For 120 Miles" sign. I didn't need food either, but I still felt like I should react to the sign, in spite of the fact that I was exiting the highway and would encounter both much sooner.

Now, I am safely stowed away in a little brick house just off campus. I have a view of the river. (What river? you ask. I will find out!) My boxes will become unpacked -- soon(ish). I am labeled for orientation with a nametag (useful) and a green wristband (obnoxious, but useful since it allows me to eat). I have a new housemate, Victoria, and am meeting people in my program.

Best of all, in the opening remarks, two people spoke directly to me. The president of the university reminded us that our time here is an adventure precisely because we are giving up control and letting God conduct our paths. It doesn't matter if we don't know why we're here : God does. A literature professor mentioned, almost offhand, the blessedness of the lilies of the field, a Scripture verse that defines my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment