Thursday, September 1, 2011

Classes, Parts 1-3

Thus far I have begun work for 3 of my five courses.  I sat in the second row in my 8am class and watched as it filled up ten minutes before class started.  Lest you think this a first-day-of-class fluke -- the same thing happened today.  The class fell to silent attention two minutes before 8, ready to begin.

That course (Sacraments) is taught by a Franciscan priest, who is hilarious, alive, and chipper at 8 in the morning, engaging us from the get-go.  My next course (Christian Moral Principles) is taught by an adjunct professor who checked his cell phone for the time and told us to use his Gmail address.  Judging by these facts and some dates he gave us, I figure he can't be much over 30, if at all.  In another realm, he'd be my peer rather than professor.  It was bizarre and gave me insight into Percy's experience teaching at a community college.

Both of these courses had priceless lines in the syllabi, including: "Computer use will not be baby-sat by the professor, since the student already bears the penalty of ineptitude in him or herself," and "Students should not leave the classroom unless they become seriously ill, or for some other good reason (e.g. incontinence)."

Finally, I have class with the one, the only Scott Hahn.  Remember that time I stood outside his office?  Now I sat in the second row and listened in unabashed admiration as he soliloquized about the course objectives.  And referenced Princess Bride.  His course, Biblical Foundations, is the only graduate level course I'm attempting this semester.  The rest are undergrad prereqs.  And the workload, difficulty of reading, and course expectations show it.  In other words, his course will be amazing!

2 comments:

  1. One of my professors begins her emails to the class "Dear Colleagues." That definitely puts things in a new frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! It places high standards on students, but I like that.

    ReplyDelete