Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Final Word on Spring Break

I am falling behind everywhere in life, and it wasn't until I went to post last night that I realized just how far behind I am here!  My apologies to my loyal readers.  Here is the rest of my spring break story:

*A lot of my adventures in STL had to do with food or coffee or tea.  Ana and I visited our old haunt, Kayak's Coffee, which is much more pleasant at 9am than 6:30am.  I caught up with my former boss at another coffee shop and studied with Em at a third.  And by "studied," I mean we both did enough reading to justify talking about life, school, boys, and feminism for most of the time.  We visited a cute retro diner with homemade catsup and old-fashioned soda and a gelateria (poor choice to give up sweets for Lent!)

*Ana and I spent a good deal of time looking for a bridesmaid dress: she is in Meemaw's wedding this fall.  We finally found one through Pintrest of all places!

*Em and I went for lots of walks, including to the zoo and a park near her and Byrd's new house.  They live in an intentional community in a house that resembles our old volunteer house.  Apparently, there was a time when that's how they built nun houses.

*Em and Byrd live next door to an adult day-care with a chapel that holds Adoration weekly -- which happened to coincide with the time I was at their house.  So Em and I stopped in to say hi to Jesus.  Only when I walked in and saw the monstrance with the San Damiano crucifix in the background did I realize how much I missed having Adoration available literally all the time, as well as meditating on that cross.

*I drove by the school where Ana and I volunteered, although I did not stop in.  I was going to, but I chickened out about contacting anyone there.  During the drive, I discovered the power of classical conditioning: as soon as I saw the building two blocks down from our school, I got this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that was exactly the same as how I felt getting out of Ana's car each day during my VSC year.

*I got used to living with Ana way too fast.  It made it hard to leave.  Ana and I dreamed up a small business plan.  If it goes into action, I'll leave the world of theology and come to Saint Louis to make it real with Ana.  I know it's a castle in the air, but it was fun to dream up.  And I love that city and even more those girls!

*I hate leaving people and places that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment