Tuesday, March 13, 2012

In Which I Am Called a Harlot

In both St. Louis and NoVA, I experienced counter-protesters during my pro-life efforts.  Their anger, volume, and proximity varied, but they never fazed me too much.  I know I am doing something controversial and counter-cultural.  If my stance were accepted, I wouldn't be praying outside an abortion facility.

In Pittsburgh, I found someone completely new.  He is pro-life (and Catholic) as his sign and crucifix declare.  However, he directs the majority of his temporal and vocal resources toward our prayer circles, not anyone associated with the abortion facility (client, employee, volunteer).  The modern liturgy, women in pants, communion in the hand, priests out of cassocks, women reading in Mass, communion while standing, women with heads uncovered, and Protestant hymns cause abortion.

The first time he turned on us, it shook me and threw my prayer.  Then I decided that I would rather have his voice turned against me than the women coming into the clinic.  We want to show love, so I wanted all the anger directed at me.  I added him to my prayers, especially when I discovered that some of the anger comes from mental problems.

More recently, he has started to accuse us pants-wearing, head-uncovered women of being "harlots" and emasculating men.  For the first time, I got upset at his comments.  I was with some awesome men that day, some of the men who keep me from becoming bitter and cynical.  That same day, I talked to some of the men -- and discovered that they was dealing okay with the yelling, until we were called harlots.  That wasn't something I minded too much -- in fact, my tiny rebel side kind of enjoyed it.  Which is something I need to work on, along with memorizing the Peace Prayer of St. Francis.

No comments:

Post a Comment