Thursday, May 31, 2012

DHQ

If you are ever in a bad mood, go visit an elementary school and spend some time with the little ones.  I have been in kindergarten therapy once a week since getting back from Ohio and it is amazing.  (By kindergarten therapy, I mean the small ones are my therapy.  My mom is a teacher, so I go to her room and hope to be more helpful than disruptive.)  The babble-y chaos of a kindergarten classroom helps with my days that consist of solitary distance learning.  I generally find small children intimidating because they are breakable, belong to other people, and don't understand sarcasm.  Then I spend time with them and realize they are just tiny people who haven't forgotten how to be enthusiastic about life.

I come into the room to a popcorn of "Hi, Ms. Beth!"  I wave at one and another pipes up until I swear everyone has greeted me at least twice.  Then I sit and do end-of-year inventory or other such work while life in kindergarten goes on.  Somehow, five or six find their way over to me to ask what I am doing and tell me what they are doing.  During free time, I have a few requests: Play kitchen with me!  Read a book with me!  Fantastic for the self-esteem.  Also, I reached my daily hug quota (DHQ), something very rarely achieved, mostly because of my personal space bubble.  Small children slip in easily, however.  After only a few days in the classroom, I think I am going to miss these children when school lets out.

2 comments:

  1. My mom had to assign a "God bless you" person in her classroom. Otherwise, no work would get done during allergy season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's adorable. I'll have to ask my mom if she does the same... or needs to.

    ReplyDelete