Sunday, June 3, 2012

High Standards: Cupcake Heaven

Larry's mom and I have started a summer quest: a cupcake tour of Northern Virginia.  I'll be posting our reviews on here as we hit up cupcakeries across the region.

We started off at Cupcake Heaven.  It's a cute cupcake and coffee shop in Haymarket.  My aunt, sister, and I walked in after a morning of hiking and winery-touring.  It was pink and fluffy and immediately welcoming (in spite of my general aversion to pink and fluffy).  As we stood indecisively, the women working helpfully pointed out various menu options, including those that tended more toward meal than dessert.  I knew I wanted a cupcake for lunch, however, and (as soon as I saw the option) a latte.

I got a chocolate raspberry champagne cupcake (a flavor of the week, not a constant) because what is more delicious than chocolate stuffed with raspberry filling?  To drink I ordered a latte, which is my test for coffee shops.  (Ana and I visited many in St. Louis and I evaluated them all this way.)  Cupcake Heaven won on both counts.  The chocolate cupcake was moist and sweet, with delicious raspberry filling and frosting that complemented the cake.  And my latte was a frothy, espresso-filled win.

Even better, the atmosphere made me want to sit and linger.  I ate slowly and sipped with care so that we wouldn't have to leave.  I miss non-Starbucks coffee shops when I am in NoVA, and this one filled my heart.  Even before I discovered the shelf of Jesus-books and the canned food drive.

In the enthusiasm of the moment, I think I gave the place 8 of 5 stars.  My aunt provided a more grounded review:

Cupcake Heaven - Haymarket VA , main street (Washington St)

4 1/2 stars
Perfect size,
Not too sweet
Good variety - filled & unfilled
Very satisfying to eat
Reasonably price at $2.50 for slightly larger than average size

Shop felt welcoming both from the decor & staff. It was cheerful & bright w/some interesting items to browse through. A nice array of beverages.


No comments:

Post a Comment