Friday, June 8, 2012

Protests and Mandates

Remember that HHS mandate that kept popping up a few months ago?  Today I went to my second rally against it.  This date marks the anniversary of the ratification of the Bill of Rights* and rallies took place across the country to fight for the rights there guaranteed.  Emily and I attended the one in DC.

As always at this type of events, some speakers said great things and some spouted alarmist rhetoric.  Luckily, Emily has at least as stubborn a liberal streak as I do and we could make comments to eat other. Among the good: Michelle Bachmann called us a "Gideon's Army"; David Bereit is always my hero; the representative from the Becket Fund was passionate, articulate, and reasonable.

Distracting factors: Nuns, friars, priests, not everywhere, but enough.  The father and small child (about a year and a half) standing near us.  A woman who passed out and left with the rescue squad.  So many cameras and people posing with witty and frustrating signs.

Awkward moment of the day: I was wearing a fun, floppy straw hat.  I think that is why a man with a video camera spent the last 3rd of the National Anthem focused on my face as he stood no more that 6 feet from me.

*Correction (06/09/2012; thanks to Frank): June 8 is the day that Madison introduced amendments that became the Bill of Rights.

2 comments:

  1. The bill of rights was ratified on December 15, 1791, not June 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mea culpa, Frank. June 8 was the day that Madison introduced the amendments that eventually became the Bill of Rights. This is what happens when I try to remember speeches without taking notes.

    ReplyDelete