Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Demure Feminist

From the hype about American nuns to a recent article about the work-family balance (more on both of those later), my inner feminist has been getting a lot of exercise lately.  I stumbled across this gem at Busted Halo this morning.  The author, Vanessa Gonzalez Kraft, contributes thoughtful, well-written pieces to Busted Halo, so while I sometimes disagree with her, I respect her (and actually read her pieces).


This time, I think Kraft hits something very true and not often discussed.  She writes about a shy smile and sweet look she used to avoid criticism in art class and generalizes this strategy to strong women who appear "precious" -- sweet and crushable -- as a method of downplaying their own strength.  I recognized myself in the description.  


When I moved up to Steubenville l last August, I tried to moderate my intense personality.  I smiled sweetly, sat quietly, and commiserated with confused students.  At that point, I was trying to figure out if I could change to become that quieter girl.  By second semester, I knew I was not happy with that change, so I re-embraced my bolder self.  


However, my "precious" avatar did not die.  She still makes appearances to disguise to bold Beth.  Like Kraft's soft-spoken self, she hides my true gifts when I am reluctant to show them.  I can get on the "Stop being precious" bandwagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment