Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Game Time

This weekend, Shelly and I played a rousing game of "What's your favorite heresy?"  It's inspired by reading too much from the patristic period.  The game is simple: ask yourself, "What twisting of the truth appeals the most to my inner heretic?"  Answer out loud!

Mine is easy: gnosticism.  There is a part of me that instinctively rejects the material world and wants to live as pure intellect.  However, I live in a world created by a good God, and luckily for me, God threw in a healthy dose of love for the sacraments when He made me.  My equally instinctive understanding of the sacramentality of the world is my saving grace.  Even the physical order mediates God to us, so I can see Him everywhere.  How then can I reject the material world for real?

No comments:

Post a Comment