Monday, December 14, 2009

A Christmas Carol

The history teacher arranged to bring the middle school to the historic Fox Theatre to see Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol. The theater is significant for these kids, although I'm not sure they realize it. Apparently, a few decades back, it was the theater where African Americans used to go, because they weren't allowed in other places. Walking in, I couldn't think of the history of segregation. Instead, I was blown away by the elaborate decorations and elegance of the theater.

As we were seated, I kept admiring. It made me think of days before modern movie theaters, when going to a play or a movie was a big deal. I know I'm romanticizing, but I like the idea of places to see and been seen, to watch people and shows. Dressing up, making it an occasion.

We had the students dress up for the occasion this time. They cleaned up sharply, including a couple of bow ties. Although they clearly had little experience in an elegant setting (cultural capital!), the behavior was overall something to be proud of.

I had a very teacher moment there. Well, actually, several. Other children ran up and down aisles, made loud sounds in loud voices, loitered, and lingered. I had a quash impulses to whip them into line.

No comments:

Post a Comment