Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Nostalgia in Harmony

Our community time for the past 2 nights has taken 2 hours longer than normal, informally, as we sit together to watch The Sing-Off. The show hosts an a capella competition, whittling down to a winner from 8 starting groups. It's fun on our quirky TV. If you walk across the room, receive a text, refresh a Facebook page, or stretch your legs, the sound stutters like a broken record and the visual pixelates.

On our side of the screen, I get to watch 4 girls (self included) swoon over male groups and cheer for the female and co-ed groups. And it takes me back to college, where we have more a capella groups than started on the show. Hands down, a college group called the Beelzebubs takes on the role of the Gentlemen of the College, and I am finding that the swooning is less annoying when television glass and several thousand miles separate them from us. But mostly, it makes me homesick for Wren 10s and Yule Log and the Gala and my EWC team (I can't link a seranade) and beginnings and endings at W&M.

I also have confirmed the fact that I actually like a capella better than music with a band, and it's not just the fact that it's a "cool" college thing. And my barbershop love isn't just because I knew someone who sang it. I'm not sure what it is about only having human voices, but it enchants me. Even "Stayin' Alive," sung in falsetto by a group of Latino men.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny you should mention the Bubs... A Cappella is a huge deal in my town, and there are tons of groups in the Boston area. Our high school hosted a College A cappella night once each semester, where the three high school groups performed and invited a couple college groups - alum or local. I saw the Bubs first when I was in 7th grade, and fell in love with a cappella. When I first researched W&M, I saw the Gentlemen as my outlet for a cappella love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this show happened to be on at the gym last night... i worked out for the full two hours instead of my usual 30 mins! love it!

    ReplyDelete