Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas, Christmas Time Is Here

Last night, the school had a Christmas program. Yes, one of those things where the children dress up in green and red and Santa hats and reindeer headbands and sing Christmas songs and tell the Christmas story approximately 8 different ways. Very cliche and cute and enjoyable to all the parents and kids. I apparently had a vital and superfluous role that two other people plus 8 teachers filled, so I spent most of the time trying to figure out if I needed to do my job or not.

It was the first time I had really been around children and parents at the same time. I've heard talk about some parents, some of it good, some of it bad, some of it slanted neither way. At the program, however, all the parents smiled and clapped and politely asked us silly white people to move out of the way so they could see their children. I remembered way back when I was in school, being at events like that and how I never knew quite how to interact with my teachers outside of school. Being on the other side, I was happy with a simply "hi."

No comments:

Post a Comment