Saturday, December 5, 2009

Math Monster

Yesterday, the 6th grade math class had a group project. They had to design a walk-a-thon course, using ratios and fractions to mark food, water, and rest points. Their teacher let them divide themselves into groups, which provided some interesting combinations. Two of my favorite kids were working together and they were pretty much the definition of opposites. Student One is a quiet, studious, meticulous child who does his work quickly and thoroughly. He is a rule-follower, by-the-book type person. Student Two is constantly out of his seat, has difficulty with a lot of his work, doesn't speak clearly, and rarely if ever does his work. But he is constantly creating things and his mind works constantly outside the box.

I came over to check on the pair and see how they were doing. They had settled on the floor. Student One was bent over his paper, hard at work figuring out where to mark things with his paper ruler. Student Two was halfway underneath the teacher's desk. He told me, "The desk is eating me!" And sure enough, he kept sinking farther and farther underneath the desk.

Undaunted, Student One looked up. "I've got it under control," he said. He stood up and shook his hand over the desk. "I sprinkled pepper." And obviously, this would make the desk sneeze Student Two back out.

1 comment:

  1. This might be the reason I am going into teaching and mothering. Situations like these make all the difficult parts worth the while.

    I chuckled audibly.

    ReplyDelete