Sunday, January 17, 2010

I Can Do That!

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch had a front page piece this morning about race-relations in an Obama United States. The writer posited that Americans discussed race more often and with (slightly) more comfort now than pre-Obama. To prove this point, he interviewed all of 6 "everyday folk," asking them the very simple question: "What effect has Obama's election had on race relations?"

And those six people answered the question, providing the journalistic integrity for this article. As I read, I discovered that the 6 average people actually had careers and/or extra-curricular interests that revolve around race relations. Not quite what I expected. I know I sometimes ask too much in my requirements for surveys, interviews, case studies, and other such people studies. After all, real, reliable studies cost money and take time. But come on! I was sure I could get at least 6 people to offer a short paragraph answering that question on my blog.

So, loyal readers, loyal Facebook link-clickers, friends, loved ones, any wandering strangers... Help me beat the Post-Dispatch! I need at least 7 people to comment below, answering the question:

"What effect has Obama's election had on race relations?"

6 comments:

  1. I'll consider posting my views on race relations in an Obama world, but most likely it will just make me really angry. Maybe if I start to go crazy grading papers and cleaning my entire apartment doesn't sound like a good break, I'll do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that the Obama presidency's main effect on race-related discussions is that no one can have a race-related discussion without mentioning the hypothetical effect of the Obama presidency on said discussion.

    I haven't noticed any other substantial changes. That is to say, I haven't heard anyone say anything or fail to say anything that wouldn't have been said or left unsaid before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion, Obama's presidency has made the race issue come up more than it ever has during my memory. I disagree that it has come up with more comfort though; in fact, I feel that it has polarized the race issue to the point where many people before the election who merely did not support Obama's political idealogies (which is our right as American citizens) were unfairly deemed "racist." I for one, wouldn't have supported Obama as a politician if he were black, white, Republican, Democrat, Male or Female.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also haven't noticed any significant changes, though I can't claim to be particularly aware of race relations. I certainly don't discuss race relations any more or less frequently than before the election, nor do I feel any more comfortable doing so. I can testify to the lack of comfort as I write this.

    Shortly after the election, Stephen Colbert asked a guest whether racism was over. The guest, of course, replied with "of course not, but..." I think Obama's election is more of a sign of progress, rather than progress in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the 4th and last time I try to respond to this blog. Yes, I think Obama's election put race issues more on the table. The fact that he is looked at as a black when he is half white. The reaction from certain racial groups during the election process and the making it an historical event are all evidence of that. It shows that despite the progress made since my childhood, there is still more to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must agree with a couple other responders in saying that I think that the Obama presidency has actually brought race into the front of people's minds. As I grew up, I always saw people as people...skin color was like eye color...just another thing to make us unique. Now, though, people want to talk more about race, and use race as a reason for making decisions. Major news sources reported during the election that Obama motivated the lower-class black voters to actually go to the polls, and many of those interviewed stated that they were voting for Obama merely because he was black. It seems to me that this highlights the race issue, and in my mind actually hurts the progress of racial equality by continuing to make race an issue to begin with.

    ReplyDelete