Friday, January 22, 2010

That Pesky Little Question

George Clooney opened the Hope for Haiti Now telathon/benefit concert by telling his viewers that the one question on everyone's mind was "Why?"

I agreed. I have been asking myself that, especially as a second earthquake shook the debris of the first.

George Clooney carried on, "Haiti was poor before. Why should we help now? Why should we think that we might be able to make a difference?" The question underneath : Why is Haiti a good investment?

Wait. What? That was not the one question on my mind. That was not the question I expected to come out of his mouth. I expected to hear, "Why is this happening?" That's what my why asks. "Why, God, did you allow this to happen to your people? Why did you give so much sorrow to people who had so little?"

And underneath : Why didn't you stop it? What did they do to deserve it? How can anyone deserve something like that? Why didn't you spare the children? Why don't you stop the pain? How is it fair that the poorest country in our part of the world has so much need? How is it fair that the most vulnerable are the most hurt? Why do you let the poor become victims? Why do you let the young become victims? What can I do? How can I stop it? How can I keep my heart from breaking inside of me? If my heart hurts, how much more must hearts be hurting closer and closer to the damage? Is your heart hurting, God? My God, my God, why have you forsaken them?

No comments:

Post a Comment