Friday, January 22, 2010

Ra-Ra-Ah-Ah-Ah

Today during study hall, one of the girls was casually singing as she played a game on a friend's iPod. She had finished her language homework, so I didn't mind the game, but the words that came out of her mouth caused me to glance up sharply at her. "I want your ugly, I want your disease..."

She saw the expression on my face.

"It's not that kind of disease, Ms. Z! It's Lady Gaga," she explained.

Since I couldn't quote the entire song at her and am not sure I want to micro-analyze it with an 8th grader, I gave her my "I don't believe you" look and told her that Lady Gaga is creepy. If you're curious, here's the song she was singing.

I know there is truth to the idea that what surrounds you becomes a part of you. I miss the days of Michael Bluble, Sarah Bareilles, the Dixie Chicks, and Disney. Most of the time, I try to avoid hearing the music my students listen to, because it will end up as disturbing as Lady Gaga.

The question of the day is : What did she think the Lady Gaga song was about? I strongly want to know and strongly do not want to know. I don't know which would be worse -- that she has no idea and is singing the song anyway, or that she knows exactly what is coming out of her mouth.

And, just for the record, Lady Gaga is creepy. Have you listened to the lyrics of "Paparazzi"?

4 comments:

  1. I must be old because the song makes little sense to me. What do I glean says that middle school girls should not be listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, no middle school girl should want a "Bad Romance" full of ugliness, disease, and self-destruction. I don't miss much the non-stop hip-hop I heard last year. Now those are some self-destructive lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People like Lady Gaga because her music is catchy. I am guilty here. I just try not to listen to what she's saying, because it's just nonsensical and, as Sarah said, self-destructive. While I'm not worried that I'm going to start thinking this stuff is cool if I listen to Lady Gaga too much, I think it can definitely work that way - especially for people who have grown up and live in a very different environment than what I'm used to.

    And for that record, it probably was that kind of disease. She probably just didn't know that. Or she did, and didn't care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am well aware of what type of disease it was. I just like to pretend there are some innocent 13 year olds out there. I don't think one song sends people down the wrong path, or even necessarily one artist, but, as you pointed out, Laura, you're well grounded. These kids are not.

    ReplyDelete