Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Snow Days

We had 3 inches of glorious fluff last Wednesday night. The entire school was crazy that day; my mother predicts the weather by her class and now I understand why. By the end of the school day, everyone, principal included, had basically decided we weren't coming to school the next day. And it haven't even started to snow.

By the time our formation Wednesday night was over, we had a beautiful muffled dusting. Em and I walked and danced in the snow, enjoying the peace of a world newly covered. By the time I went to bed, I had a call from our phone tree : no school the next day!

Missouri snow is different from Virginia snow. It comes (or at least it did this time) with frigid weather, so that rather than fat wet flakes that stick to the roads and trees and each other, fluffy flakes swirl in the wind and fly off of surfaces. The bad news : it does not lend itself well to snowmen or snow balls. The good news : you can go out in jeans and a sweatshirt and sneakers and brush yourself off when you come in and by dry!

Four of us had off of work. We went out to the parking lot next door. The snow had been scraped off into a seven or eight foot high pile, which we used as a sledding hill. We also used the loose chunks to launch a snowball war, and the large chunks to create a snow person-ish thing.

After Em, Ana, and Mee-Maw had tired themselves out, I went for a walk. I am like a small child sometimes. In elementary school, I considered every snow day minute that I did not spend outside a waste. I still have that philosophy. But the cold and the wind and the walk eventually wore me out, and I came home to Bosnian coffee and card games, chilly and content.

No comments:

Post a Comment