Thursday, January 27, 2011

Introducing Connor

Once, Percy sent an email to Wendy, which she forwarded to me and to another friend, so that the email read "From: Wendy" in my inbox, but was signed, "Percy." Percy was excited because the Parish Center, which had been pink, was now painted white. I hastily hit "reply-all" and sent an excited response, signed the first initial of "Beth, which does not match up with the name that appears on the sender line.

As it turns out, the other email Wendy entered was not our friend's email address. Instead, she reached someone with the same first two initials and last name. Who was very confused by the email. And the people who did not sign their names. But he sent an odd and spirited reply, signing not-his-name, Fred. He also cc'ed a friend, who did the same.

This is a long story to explain how Connor got his pseudonym (Connor being "Fred"'s actual name).

And now, a story about Connor. He spent the night on my couch this past Saturday night. Sunday morning, when I got out of the shower, I thought he was in my downstairs. And so I was surprised when I got a text from him. "So i'm actually chasing after your cat outside. Sorry." Grace Kelly likes to escape a lot, so I wasn't worried about her, and I was entertained by the though of Connor chasing her around outside. I made myself decent enough to go outside and hurried to rescue Connor.

I found Grace Kelly perched eight feet in the air in a small tree and Connor (who is not a small guy) standing on the ground below, reaching upwards. He was looking up helplessly and she was looking down unperturbedly. I came over and laughed, before deciding to be helpful. I shook the tree -- probably not good for the tree, but definitely not to the liking of the cat. She eventually came down lower. I shook the tree more. She climbed higher.

At last, she decided that she didn't like the tree anymore, but couldn't figure out how to get out. Connor and I kept shaking the tree until she was low enough for me to grab and him to prise loose.

1 comment: